My family got its Xtracycle about a year ago, and I figure we’ve gone at least a thousand miles on it by now (the bike computer fritzed around mile 500, in December). Everything I wrote about it in my review last year seems more true than ever: the cargo bike is simply the most meaningful single piece of “green” technology I’ve used.
We don’t need a private car anymore (we still use carsharing a few days a month to go out of town and on special errands), so we don’t have the impulse to do stupid life-sucking errands like you do when you own a car (my personal weaknesses: going to the hardware store to buy 1 bolt, or to Burgerville for a monster snack). It’s so much more relaxing when you don’t do that stuff.
But still, we need to carry stuff, right? Here are a few things we’ve carried:
- an army’s worth of groceries
- a frat party’s worth of beer
- a case of wine from TJ’s
- a kid and his TWO bikes, while talking easily the whole way
- adults as passengers — this is surprisingly romantic and hilarious
- two 60-pound bags of concrete
- and oodles more, as other riders can tell you.
Some days we’re competing for the bike; we almost need two. This bike has actually made our life better. Wow!
jump to post comment